Content Writer and Product Documentation Author
United Kingdom, England, BromleySoftware & QA
To produce and maintain clearly written, high quality internal and external documentation within applicable timescales, to accompany the company processes and releases of Bromcom Products. Working closely with the Product Development teams, to achieve customer satisfaction by delivering quality user documentation, containing accurate, helpful and appropriate user information.
- Produce clear, concise and well written user documentation including handbooks, tutorials, quick reference sheets, online help and any other applicable user documentation.
- Learn and understand the business systems and applications for which the documentation is being prepared.
- Produce documentation for internal processes of departments and keep up to date for ISO accreditations and keep audit logs of changes
- Produce and maintain materials during release cycles including release notes and user guides, which in turn will involve you attending regular project meetings and liaise with project team members.
- Plan and manage authoring projects to ensure that documentation meets defined standards and is produced within agreed time scales.
- Revise/edit existing user documentation to ensure it remains accurate and reflects the current version of software.
- Test documentation to ensure that it matches the finished product.
- Liaise appropriately with the project team on any potential errors or areas for improvement, identified in the software, in order to contribute to its overall quality.
- In all dealings with both internal and external customers, the job holder should project a professional image and provide the best possible service within his/her capabilities.
- Any other task set out by Department Head, which will be linked to business needs and/or customer requirements.
- Obtain, interpret and organise applicable information from other areas of the business (such as project teams, Service Desk, UAT, etc.). Gather and analyse the information, ensuring it meets the needs of our users.
- Build strong relationships with senior managers and other departments to encourage positive communication and early engagement with new or changed products and services
- At least 2 years of technical writing experience, preferably in a software development environment or experience of similar user documentation production, such as course notes, procedures, etc
- Ability to explain complex concepts in clear and concise English
- Experienced and proficient with one or more screening packages.
- Experience of working to publication department standards and formats.
- Extremely literate with a good grammatical knowledge.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, as well as having good organisational skills, with the ability to gather technical information from developers, existing documents, and from using the product
- Excellent time management, planning and organisational skills.
- Familiarity with audio, image, and video capture and editing
- MS Office expertise; knowledge of SharePoint, Visual Studio, Word and Adobe Illustrator
Desired Skills and Experience
Key Competencies (not in order of preference)
- Confident personality with excellent communication skills.
- Ownership - take responsibility for actions and be proactive.
- Consistently effective and efficient.
- Strong focus on quality, constantly striving to improve.
- High level of self-motivation and able to work on own initiative.
- Ability to be assertive without being aggressive.
- Experience in procedural documentation
- Familiarity and experience with with audio, image, and video capture and editing Experience of at least one authoring tool
- Knowledge of the Education sector is advantageous